Why is it that some individuals or teams are more productive than others? Why is it that sometimes entire divisions can go around in circles, pointing fingers or having endless meetings but don’t seem to get things done?
Amongst other things, one of the leading principles of any organisation is Purpose. When establishing why it exists and what the organisation is trying to do, think about these things:
- Is your company Purpose clearly defined?
- Are ALL your staff aware of the company Purpose? (And we do mean ALL staff!)
- Have you employed individuals with the skills, attitude and passion to align their efforts and personal pride to the company Purpose?
- Do your contractors and suppliers know your Purpose?
- Have you identified and made firm policy that the above is a fundamental calibre and requirement for your staff?
These appear like simple questions, but they are the burning questions that every company should not only start out with when incorporating their company and employing staff, but also regularly campaigning this Purpose to focus staff, align responsibility and establish a flourishing internal company culture.
For example, let’s say you have the goal of having “a perfect cup of tea” (we’re big tea fans here in Dynamic). Two equally talented employees are given the task, to “make a cup of tea”. Employee 1 makes a satisfactory cup of tea… but the taste of the tea just doesn’t hit the spot. Employee 2 however, makes a wonderful cup of tea that not only melts the worries of the world away and leaves you feeling relieved to have such a competent employee in the company, but also makes Employee 2 feel delighted with your reaction and feel personal pride in a job well done.
Confused as to why two cups of tea can be so different, you ask Employee 1 to have a another go. Once again, the tea is adequate but the taste is still not right. Now you get frustrated and the worries of the world are firmly attached to your shoulders with the additional weight of the problem this employee presents who just can’t make a perfect bloody cup of tea! What’s wrong?!
The problem is simple. Both employees have all the skills and resources to make a cup of tea, but only one employee ever had the Purpose “to make a PERFECT cup”. Aligned with your goal of having a perfect cup of tea, this employee makes a product that hits the spot, melts your worries away and leaves you feeling completely confident that duties assigned to Employee 2 are duties left in good hands.
With Purpose, Employee 2 could visualise his importance, his place in the company, the culture of the workplace and his contribution to the company goal. Imagine his sense of pride. Imagine the ongoing quality of his work. Imagine his own leadership in his area. Image his ability to help his fellow staff.
The repercussions of production without purpose is a threatened reputation and your neck on the line. And this is why you need to:
- CLEARLY DEFINE your company Purpose
- Make your staff AWARE of the company Purpose – always a great thing to do periodically
- Only employ staff who are able to ALIGN their skills to the company Purpose
- Regularly CAMPAIGN for your company Purpose so your team always have their eye on the mountain.
One of our purposes at Dynamic is to create big opportunities that inspire top quality entrepreneurs, products and services and help them to flourish in new markets.
PURPOSE – the world revolves around it, just as your company’s production, efficiency and culture revolves around it.
Always share your Purpose.
Talk to us:
+353 87 137 7434